Try out our new Cat Breed Chooser Tool to help you select a breed.
- Medium-sized cat; dense and muscular
- Coats come in many colors and patterns
- Intelligent, gregarious, willful
- Incredible memory and senses
- Needs boosters by 12 weeks old
- Annual vet visit for checkups is important
While the listed ailments may be common in this breed, not all members of the breed suffer from these conditions. Responsible breeders screen for orthopedic and genetic diseases.
- Indoor only cats; make sure all screens and doors are secure to help ensure they remain indoors
- Needs sufficient scratching device
- Declawing is not recommended
- Kittens are available after 12-16 weeks
- Trim nails regularly
- Comb with a rubber brush
- Breed has been described as part puppy, part monkey, and can sound like an elephant running through your house
- Two Tonks will keep each other company and lessen the mischief one bored Tonk can get into
- Depicted in The Cat-Book Poems of Siam during the Ayudha Period (1358-1767)
- Imported to England in the early 1800s as "Chocolate Siamese"
- In the United States, Tonkinese and Burmese can trace their beginnings back to Wong Mau, a small, walnut colored cat imported to California by Dr. Joseph Thompson in 1930